Thursday, November 17, 2011

november 17 palo verde, ca to brenda, AZ!

72.4 miles today. Only 2 things I want to talk about. 1.) I think riding on i-10 showed me what i'd be like in one of those 10 day silent meditation retreats. I'd fight and resist for the first 8 days, and then finally realize I was still at the meditation, no getting away until it's over, and then i'd spend the next two days making up stories about all the other people there, and I would be so happy. Even though it was flat, the cross currents of truck after truck made it impossible to pick up speed. I counted all 22 of those miles.
2.) I realized today that I haven't paid to sleep anywhere, not even a campground, since october! I had heard about this sort of hospitality, but there is honestly no way to be ready for it. I don't know how to give thanks! This morning, I ordered one egg and toast at a diner, and when my food came, there were 2 eggs, which I thought was sweet,until I found out there were two more hiding underneath! 4 eggs! Maybe they just needed to unload some eggs? Tonight, I intentionally tried to pay for lodging, and was still put up (albeit in a strange tin diner) for the night. America, where does this kindness come from? Most people totally disapprove of what I'm doing, but it's as if they can't help themselves. I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining. Just overwhelmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment