Sunday, November 20, 2011

november 19, 20 : hooked on phoenix !

I rode from Wickenburg to Phoenix Friday. It was 67 miles, but I didn't get going until 11:15 or so, and it felt like a long day. Suburbia kind of goes on and on and on, ya know? In the morning, I had breakfast with Kamal, who runs a motel in Wickenburg. He is pictured here, saluting the First Officer of Mumbai, like a good young lad. He told me if I ever stay in an Indian-run motel again, to have the owner call him, and he'll get a good price. A true gem. When I got to Phoenix, I took care of some bike shop-ing, then I went to meet Richard, Andy's grad school bestie, and Renae, Richard's sweetie. They live in Phoenix, and their condo overlooks a heated pool. They are both teachers, amazing hosts, and... engaged! they are also pictured below, showing AZ t-bird pride for corner Taco Shops. How cute are they?! I was gonna leave today, but then it felt like I'd have to rush the swimming, newspaper reading, and general layabouting that was a 70 degree Sunday in Phoenix. So I stayed! We can always work tomorrow.
Did you know Phoenix has a big mountain right in the center of town? Did you know the square mileage of Phoenix (or "the valley," I'm not sure which) is larger than that of Rhode Island? Did you know you can win $800 if you place first in Fantasy Football? I, for one, did not.

No comments:

Post a Comment